Morning structure fire causes $75,000 in total damage

0

The Racine Fire Department (RFD) received a call at 10:27 a.m. Friday morning of a possible structure fire at 235 Ohio Street. Upon arrival, firefighters found a “working fire” in the second floor bathroom, according to a news release.

The Engine 2 crew extended a garden hose to the bathroom and extinguished the fire while other crews checked the exterior of the house as well as the areas adjacent to the bathroom.

The fire was extinguished within 20 minutes of arriving at the scene, with a total of 24 firefighters responding to the scene. The Racine Police Department was also there to assist with traffic control.

The four occupants of the house were absent from the scene at the time of the fire and there were no injuries among civilians or firefighters. There were two cats in the house and they were rescued to safety.

A total of $75,000 in damage was estimated: $50,000 to the structure and $25,000 to the contents of the house.

The Racine Fire Department reminds the public

It is extremely important that working smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are placed on every floor of the house. When renting, it’s also important to note that renter’s insurance is a cost-effective expense for renters, should a situation, such as a fire, arise.

the RFD Office of Fire Prevention makes fire safety information available to the public. The Office can be reached at 262-635-7915.


Stay up to date with emergency, crime and police encounters. The Racine County Eye and Kenosha Lens is your source for local information serving our diverse communities. Subscribe today and never miss a beat. Visit our Police and Fire section to find out more.

Share.

Comments are closed.