Houthis seize strategic Yemeni town from army: source

0

(MENAFN-IANS)

Sanaa, Feb 13 (IANS) The Yemeni Houthis have driven the government army out of the strategic town of Harad in the northern province of Hajjah, killing more than 60 soldiers and wounding 140 others, a military source said.

“The rebels retook al-Mihsam military camp and the high mountain range from the army in today’s battle,” the source told Xinhua news agency on Saturday.

“Rebel snipers killed more than 60 soldiers who had infiltrated the southern and western neighborhoods and wounded 140 others,” he said.

Saudi-led coalition forces supporting the Yemeni government army launched three airstrikes against the advancing Houthis, the source said, adding that “the army is now out of this strategic town”, which borders Saudi Arabia.

The defeat is a blow to the Yemeni government army which had recaptured most of the city in a fierce battle that began last week.

Yemen has been embroiled in a civil war since late 2014, when Iran-backed Houthi militia seized control of northern provinces and forced the Saudi-backed government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi to withdraw. ‘exile.

–IANS

ksk/

MENAFN12022022000231011071ID1103686101


Legal disclaimer: MENAFN provides the information “as is” without warranty of any kind. We assume no responsibility for the accuracy, content, images, videos, licensing, completeness, legality or reliability of any information in this article. If you have any complaints or copyright issues related to this article, please contact the provider above.

Share.

Comments are closed.