Firefighters respond to four structure fires over the weekend

0

Guernsey County Firefighters were busy from Friday evening to Sunday morning responding to four separate structure fires on Little Indian, Arrowhead and Hopewell roads in the county, as well as Taylor Avenue in Cambridge.

The home on the corner of Taylor and North Fifth Street in the city suffered moderate fire damage, while extensive fire, smoke and water damage was reported at the other scenes.

A firefighter who suffered chest pains at the scene in Arrowhead Road was taken by Antrim EMS along with paramedics from Old Washington and Lore City departments to the South East Mediterranean for treatment.

No further information regarding his condition was available on Monday.

None of the occupants of three of the houses – the fourth was unoccupied – or other first responders reported injuries.

First fire reported on Friday

According to a logbook at the Guernsey County Sheriff’s Office, the first fire was reported at 5:46 p.m. on Little Indian Road in the northern region of the county.

A caller reported that a propane tank had exploded and the house was on fire. The occupants would also have been out of the residence.

Firefighters from Liberty and Cassell Station departments were dispatched with mutual aid requested from Newcomerstown Firefighters in Tuscarawas County and West Lafayette Firefighters in Coshocton County.

“The mobile home was completely submerged when the guys arrived and they launched an initial attack,” said Liberty Fire Chief Tim Johnson, who reported that crews were hampered getting to the scene by snowy roads.

Knox Township workers applied ash to the roadway to aid firefighters.

“The snow prevented us from reaching the mobile home, so we had to lay an extra line, and the roads even delayed us getting to the scene,” Johnson said.

The chief reported that the house was heated by a gas wall heater and that propane cylinders that had been stored inside the house were found in the yard.

“There were propane cylinders that exploded,” he said.

The official cause of the fire has yet to be determined, according to Johnson.

“People need to be careful with gas-powered appliances at this time of year,” he added.

The mobile home and its contents were a total loss.

Firefighters returned to duty at 9:16 p.m. Friday.

Second fire on Arrowhead Road

The fire at an unoccupied home was reported at 11:46 a.m. Saturday when a contractor working on power lines for American Electric Power Ohio called 911.

The old house now used for storage would have been completely submerged.

The remote location of an unoccupied hilltop home near the intersection of Arrowhead Road and US 40 west of Old Washington required firefighters to hand-lay more than 2,000 feet of lines to extinguish the flames during a fire late Saturday morning.  A firefighter who suffered chest pains at the scene was taken by Antrim EMS to the South East Mediterranean in Cambridge for treatment.  While a dog was rescued from the structure used for storage, a second dog perished in the fire.

Firefighters from Old Washington, Lore City, Antrim and Fairview departments were dispatched and they also encountered difficulty reaching the structure due to its hilltop location and Arrowhead Road covered in ice and snow.

“The inaccessibility of the structure required us to hand lay over 2,000 feet of lines to extinguish the fire,” said former Washington chief Heath Beal. “The fact that we had to drag these lines up and over the hill delayed any fire attack.”

A line was laid across US 40 (East Pike Road) from a fire hydrant on the north side of the roadway to the fire site at the intersection with Arrowhead Road.

“As a result, US 40 was closed for approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours while we dealt with the fire,” Beal said. One lane of the road was reopened to traffic at 3:16 p.m.

At 12:45 p.m., the firefighter who was suffering from chest pains was taken to Cambridge Hospital. It was not reported what service he provided when in pain.

The fire was reportedly brought under control by 1:18 p.m. with “cleanup” efforts underway, according to the sheriff’s dispatch log.

Firefighters returned to duty at 4:19 p.m.

The cause of the fire remains undetermined, according to Beal. An investigator from the Ohio Fire Marshal’s Office is assisting local firefighters with the investigation.

No damage estimate was available on Monday.

Beal reported that one dog was recused from the structure while a second dog perished.

Third fire in Cambridge

The structure fire in the 500 block of Taylor Avenue was reported at 9:49 p.m. Saturday and Cambridge Fire Department crews were dispatched to Engine 3 and the department’s tanker.

‘A fire was reported in the attic and when firefighters arrived on the scene observed the fire had passed through a window to the side of the house,’ Cambridge Chief Jeff Deeks said. “They drew a line and launched an inside attack to bring down the flames.”

A house on the corner of Taylor Avenue and South Fifth Street in Cambridge suffered fire, smoke and water damage in a blaze on Saturday evening that started while occupants were watching television.  No injuries were reported as City Department firefighters and Cassell Station extinguished what was one of four such fires in Guernsey County over the weekend.

Deeks said once the flames were brought under control, firefighters began knocking down ceiling tiles, particularly in the master bedroom, to search for a hidden fire.

Mutual aid in the form of an engine and labor was requested from the Cassell Station department.

The residence sustained moderate fire, water and smoke damage. No damage estimate was available.

The occupants of the house were inside the residence when the fire was discovered.

“They were watching TV,” said Deeks, who confirmed they were uninjured.

The chief also reported that none of the more than a dozen city firefighters who responded were injured.

“The cause remains under investigation,” Deeks said.

Final fire on Hopewell Road

The fourth fire of the weekend was reported at 8:22 a.m. Sunday after a 911 caller reported the blaze and people may still be inside the house northeast of the city.

Firefighters from Cassell Station, New Concord and Liberty were dispatched to the scene with mutual aid requested from Byesville and Cambridge departments, according to the sheriff’s dispatch log.

Twenty minutes after the initial call, it was reported that the attic was completely submerged after a report emerged that all occupants except a dog had left the single-story house.

Crews reported heavy smoke in the area and Hopewell Road (Ohio 658) was closed to non-emergency traffic.

The fire was reported under control at 9:24 a.m. and crews were extinguishing hot spots. The Red Cross was asked to help the residents soon after.

First responders could have saved a flying squirrel from the blaze, but it then bit two Guernsey County Sheriff’s deputies who provided first aid to the animal. The extent of their injuries was not mentioned in the report.

No injuries were reported by firefighters.

The Office of the Fire Marshal is also assisting in the investigation into the cause of the fire, which is currently undetermined.

In addition to fire calls, first responders including medical personnel and firefighters responded to a water rescue, farm accident, car accidents and numerous medical emergencies throughout the weekend. end.

Share.

Comments are closed.