Although the EuroLeague season ended with Anadolu Efes Istanbul winning the title for the second consecutive year, the European basketball season is in full swing.
3 points this season
In some national leagues the playoffs have just started, while the Adriatic league is already on the verge of the final, where Crvena Zvezda mts Belgrade will face Belgrade NIS Partizan.
BasketNews covers all the top leagues to give you all the information you need about the domestic league qualifiers across Europe.
The quarter-finals are played in a best-of-three series, while the semi-finals and final will be a best-of-five series. The ACB playoffs are scheduled to last until June 24.
The series are:
- (1) FC Barcelona against Gran Canaria (8); Barcelona currently leads 1-0
- (2) Real Madrid v BAXI Manresa (7); Real are currently leading 1-0
- (3) Valencia Basket against Bitci Baskonia (6); Baskonia currently leads 1-0
- (4) Joventut Badalona v Lenovo Tenerife (5)
FC Barcelona is in the same bracket as Joventut. Madrid are in the other part with Valencia and Baskonia.
Barça against Gran Canaria
- Match 1: Barcelona won 93-82
- Match 2: May 29, 21:00 CET in Gran Canaria
- *Match 3: May 31, 9:30 p.m. CET in Barcelona
Real Madrid v BAXI Manresa
Valencia Basket vs Baskonia
Joventut vs Lenovo Tenerife
- Game 1: Joventut won 100-68
- Match 2: May 29, 1:00 p.m. CET in Tenerife
- *Match 3: May 31, 7:00 p.m. CET at Badalona
The Greek Basketball League qualifiers are currently in their early stages, with the three semi-finalists already known.
Defending champion Panathinaikos OPAP Athens, who secured second place in the regular season, swept away Aris Thessaloniki with two comfortable wins (109-79, 85-65) and sealed their ticket to the semi-finals which are will take place to the best of five. .
The Greens will face Larissa BC, who knocked out third-placed Kolossos Rhodes in the first round. Thessaly team reached the semi-finals of the playoffs for the first time.
On the other hand, Kolossos became the first team in the league not to qualify for the semi-finals after entering the playoffs in third place. Panathinaikos will have home advantage.
Due to their appearance in the EuroLeague Final Four, regular season winners Olympiacos Piraeus played their quarter-final match against Peristeri on Wednesday (May 25). The Reds won 79-67 and swept the series at Peristeri (92-57) two days later.
Now Olympiacos will face Promitheas Patras. The EuroCup team managed to win both matches against AEK Athens (95-82, 77-75), once again placing themselves in the TOP 4.
It should be noted that the finals will also be a best-of-five, while the dates for the semi-finals and finals are yet to be determined.
- Panathinaikos OPAP Athens (2) v Aris Thessaloniki (7); 2-0
- Kolossos Rhodes (3) against Larissa BC (6); 0-2
- AEK Athens (4) v Promitheas Patras (5); 0-2
- Olympiacos Piraeus (1) v Peristeri (8); 2-0.
Panathinaikos OPAP Athens (2) vs Larissa BC (6)
- Match 1: May 29, at 6:45 p.m. at OAKA
- Match 2: May 31, at 6:30 p.m. in Larissa
- Match 3: June 3, at 6:30 p.m. at OAKA
- *Match 4: June 5, 7:00 p.m. in Larissa
- *Match 5: June 8, 6:30 p.m. at OAKA
Olympiakos (1) vs Promitheas Patras (5)
- Match 1: May 30, 7:00 p.m. in Piraeus
- Match 2: June 1, at 6:30 p.m. in Patras
- Match 3: June 4, 7:00 p.m. in Piraeus
- *Match 4: June 6, 7:00 p.m. in Patras
- *Match 5: June 9, 6:30 p.m. in Piraeus.
The Adriatic League qualifiers are well advanced compared to other competitions, as Crvena Zvezda and Partizan will open the final best-of-five series on Thursday.
Both Belgrade teams went straight to the semi-finals after securing the top two seeds of the regular season. However, they were also close to being knocked out, playing the crucial Game 3.
Crvena Zvezda defeated Cedevita Olimpija, while Partizan won against Buducnost.
The winner of the ABA league will automatically receive the wildcard for the 2022-23 EuroLeague season.
- Cedevita Olimpija (4) against Igokea (5); 2-0
- Buducnost (3) vs. FMP Belgrade (6); 2-0
- Crvena Zvezda (1) against Cedevita Olimpija; 2-1
- Partizan (2) against Buducnost (3); 2-1
Crvena Zvezda (1) vs. Partizan (2)
- Game 1: Zvezda won 90-76.
- Game 2: May 29, 8:00 p.m. CET
- Game 3: June 1, 8:30 p.m. CET
- *Match 4: June 3, 6:30 p.m. CET
- *Match 5: June 6, 8:00 p.m. CET
After Anadolu Efes defeated Pinar Karsiyaka in the third and decisive game of the series, the knockout phase of the first round of the Basketball Super League (BSL) ended.
Meanwhile, the semi-final series also started where Fenerbahce Beko won comfortably against Darussafaka. The second game will be played Thursday in Atasehir, again.
In the other set of semi-finals, back-to-back EuroLeague titleholders Efes will look to calm a scorching Galatasaray NEF, whose season aspiration reinvigorated after the arrival of Andreas Pistiolis on their bench .
The semi-finals will be played in a best-of-five series, using a 2-2-1 format regarding the sequence of home and away matches. Since the 2018-19 season, no other team except Anadolu Efes and Fenerbahce Beko has reached the final of the domestic competition.
- Fenerbahçe (1) against Bursaspor (8); 2-1
- Gaziantep (4) against Darussafaka (5); 1-2
- Anadolu Efes (2) against Pinar Karsiyaka (7); 2-1
- Galatasaray (3) against Bahsecehir (6); 2-0
Fenerbahce vs Darussafaka
Anadolu Efes vs Galatasaray
The two top seeds in the standings, Virtus Bologna and Armani Exchange Milan got through the first round without too many problems, sweeping Pesaro and Reggio Emilia respectively.
Virtus Bologna will now face the sensation of the season, Bertram Derthona. The Tortona-based side were only promoted to the First Division last summer. In their first season in Serie A, they reached the Coppa Italia final and are now in the league semi-finals.
Derthona has already beaten Virtus twice during the season, once in a regular season match and the other in the Coppa Italia semi-finals. Coach Ramondino and his players will be a tough challenge for Virtus, although the side coached by Sergio Scariolo remain favorites to advance to the final.
On the other hand, Armani Exchange Milan will face Dinamo Sassari in the other semi-final. Sassari probably caused the biggest upset of the first round of the playoffs, getting rid of Germani Brescia.
However, the good news for Milan is that Nicolo Melli will most likely be available for the series, marking an important return for the Messina coach’s team. Melli, the team’s co-captain, has been out since the EuroLeague playoff opener against Anadolu Efes, and his return to the pitch will provide much-needed help to Milan.
The semi-finals will be best-of-five, while only the finals will be best-of-seven.
- Virtus Bologna (1) against Carpegna Prosciutto Pesaro (8); 3-0
- AX Armani Exchange Milan (2) vs. Pallacanestro Reggiana (7); 3-0
- Germani Brescia (3) against Dinamo Sassari (6); 1-3
- Bertram Derthona (4) against Reyer Venezia (5); 3-1
Virtus Bologna (1) against Bertram Derthona (4)
- Game 1: Virtus won 77-73
- Match 2: May 29, 8:45 p.m. CET
- Match 3: May 31, 8:45 p.m. CET
- *Match 4: June 2, 8:45 p.m. CET
- *Match 5: June 4, 8:45 p.m. CET
Armani Exchange Milan (2) vs Dinamo Sassari (6)
- Game 1: Milan won 88-71
- Game 2: May 30, 8:45 p.m. CET
- Game 3: June 1, 8:45 p.m. CET
- *Match 4: June 3, 8:45 p.m. CET
- *Match 5: June 5, 8:45 p.m. CET
The top four seeds of the regular season – ASVEL, Monaco, Metropolitans 92 and Limoges lost home advantage in the opening games of the quarter-finals and now face elimination. The quarter-final series is played to the best of three.
The semi-finals will consist of best-of-five series, which will take place from June 1 to June 11-12 (if necessary).
Like the semi-finals, the finals will be played in the best of five series. The start of the final stage of competition is June 15. It will last until June 25 at the latest.
LDCL ASVEL Villeurbanne (1) vs Cholet Basket (8)
AS Monaco (2) vs SIG Strasbourg (7)
CSP Limoges (4) vs JDA Dijon Basket (5)
- Match 1: Dijon wins 94-70
- Match 2: Dijon wins 70-68
Metropolitans 92 Boulogne (3) vs Elan Béarnais Pau-Orthez (6)
- Match 1: Pau-Ortheiz wins 94-77
- Match 2: Pau-Orthez wins 81-71
In German BBL, the semi-final will start on Thursday. There were no quarter-final upsets as ALBA Berlin, Ludwigsburg MHP Riesen, Telekom Baskets Bonn and FC Bayern Munich swept away their respective opponents to win the series 3-0.
The semi-final series will also be played best of five games, with the first two games being played at the site of the higher seeded team, while the lower seeded team will host games 3 and 4. (if necessary).
The season in Germany will end no later than June 19.
- ALBA (1) against Bamberg (8); 3-0
- Ludwigsburg (4) against Ulm (5); 3-0
- Bonn (2) against Hamburg Towers (7); 3-0
- Bayern (3) v Chemnitz (6); 3-0
ALBA (1) vs Ludwigsburg (4)
- Match 1: ALBA Berlin won 89-84
- Match 2: May 29, 6:00 p.m. CET
- Game 3: June 3, 7:00 p.m. CET
- *Match 4: June 5, 6:00 p.m. CET
- * Game 5: June 8, 7:00 p.m. CET
Bonn (2) v Bayern (3)
- Game 1: Bayern won 80-68
- Game 2: May 30, 8:30 p.m. CET
- Match 3: June 4, 6:00 p.m. CET
- *Match 4: June 6, 6:00 p.m. CET
- *Match 5: June 8, 8:30 p.m. CET