By LESLIE EIKLEBERRY
The aerial structure of the Campbell Plaza stage traveled to its new home a block and a half north.
Unruh House Moving de Galva moved the structure from Campbell Plaza north on Fifth Street to E. Ash Street, then west on Ash Street to the parking lot at the southwest corner of Ash Street / N . Crossroads of Santa Fe Avenue.
From the Facebook page of the city of Salina:
There, it will be installed as a stage covering for a new plaza that the city is developing there, according to city information. The new square is expected to be completed in March 2022.
The structure was removed from Campbell Plaza as part of an agreement between the city and Wheat State Hospitality, Inc., which is developing the property at 123 S. Santa Fe Avenue which adjoins Campbell Plaza to the north for what it says is the “unofficial downtown porch.”
Wheat State Hospitality, Inc., plans to open the Prickly Pear Grill & Cantina, a Tex-Mex infused food and entertainment venue that will include alfresco seating on Campbell Plaza.
“The Prickly Pear Grill & Cantina will provide a comfortable, family-friendly environment that will include indoor and outdoor seating in addition to frequent live music performed by popular regional artists,” Wheat State Hospitality, Inc. told Salina Post in May.
On May 17, the City of Salina Commission paved the way for the opening of the Prickly Pear concept when the commission authorized the city manager to sign a licensing agreement and an assignment agreement with Wheat State Hospitality, Inc., for the use of Campbell Plaza.
According to Wheat State Hospitality, Inc., the Prickly Pear Grill & Cantina will include:
• Chef-inspired Tex-Mex menu with oversized salads, loaded tacos and mouth-watering burgers.
• A full bar menu with a handpicked selection of bottled and draft beers and ‘soon to be famous margaritas’.
• Convenient online ordering from its take-out menu.
• Regular musical evenings during the warmer seasons with well-known musicians from the region.
• Seating inside, outside and on the roof, offering the best place to meet all year round.